Good things take time… and care! We’ve covered the care basics before but now, we’re getting into the details according to the jewelry material. Welcome to The Care Blog series, we’re kicking things off with Gold styles! Before we begin, VE’s high quality materials are made for daily wear, but no matter how pure the Gold is, it’s good to take the steps to properly care for all of your pieces.
If you’re new here, Victoria Emerson’s Gold collection lands in the semi and demi-fine space (more info about that here), so the cleaning and maintenance for both are different. To keep your semi and demi-fine Gold as gorgeous as the day they arrived, there are a couple basics that we’d like to cover. Let’s get into general care then the specifics!
Gimme a break!
All sparkles need breaks too, it’s hard being in the spotlight all day! ✨ We love pieces that are comfy enough to wear 24/7 but naturally, the more you wear it, the more wear and tear it gets. So it's good to take those pieces off every so often! It might also be a sign to refresh the essentials in your collection. Basics are important so you always have something that goes with everything in your rotation. If an extra special piece is taking some time off, you have another, just as beautiful style ready for a switch up!
The Clean Girl
If you aren’t doing so already, always wipe your items down with a soft cloth (beware of paper towels, they are dusty and can cause scratching!) for a quick clean and polish after each wear! But starting now, let’s take things to the next level and start a cleaning day to wash down your jewelry. Here’s the steps to get it done!
- Gather the Gold jewelry you’d like to wash.
- Use warm water and dish soap to soak your pieces for about ten minutes.
- You don't need to spend a bunch of money on jewelry dips and polishes, especially if you're not sure what to get. The wrong one may harm the gold plating!
- With a soft toothbrush, lightly scrub away any build up of body oil, sweat, moisturizers, perfume, makeup, etc.
- Please be gentle with the semi-precious stones, they are delicate and can break, crack or scratch without taking extra care.
- Rinse the soapy residue off well, wipe each piece off completely with a towel, then lay everything flat to dry further.
- Get any tight corners and softly polish with an eyeglasses cloth (like the ones included in our sunglasses) to keep the Gold shiny.
- Avoid jewelry dips and polishes as they may contain chemicals that can harm the Gold plating!
- Store safely and you’re done! 🎊
Pack it up
When you’re not wearing your jewelry, store your pieces away safely. A jewelry box with compartments is ideal to keep your collection organized, and keep semi-precious stones from getting scratched. You could also use our gifted VE pouches for separation, doing so minimizes moisture, prevents oxidization, and sun damage. Once your Gold is organized in your travel case, display stand, or jewelry box, remember to store your sparkles safely in a cool, dry place away from the sunlight.
If you apply those basic maintenance rules, you’ll be able to prolong the shine of all your Gold VE pieces. To get more specific, let’s dive into the semi and demi-fine differences. If you’re not sure what your piece is, check the “Materials” heading of our descriptions, or shoot us a message and we can help out.
At Victoria Emerson, you’ll probably see it as 14K or 18K Gold Plating. As a refresher, this means the Gold is mixed with a metal (like Stainless Steel, Brass, or Copper) for strength and durability. This also means that the Gold plating can dull if constantly worn in water, sleep, or during exercise. To avoid this, we readily adopt the “last on, first off” practice: put your jewelry on after you’ve matched it with your outfit, then take it off first before you change to sleep, swim, shower, exercise, or apply any body products. It’s like dessert, the best part of your meal comes last. 🍰
If you’re ever in the situation where, "ahh, I forgot to take off my VE!” Don’t fret, our sparkles are designed with high quality materials that can withstand a couple washes and laps in the pool. As soon as you remember, just give them a nice pat with a dry towel.
In case you leave your sparkles on in water, just rinse and wipe down nice and dry.
Also known as Gold Vermeil here at VE, demi-fine jewelry is made with at least 10K Gold and Sterling Silver base metal (read about Silver here). Even with this higher grade of materials, Gold Vermeil is not invincible.
So it’s ideal to still incorporate regular maintenance: lessen contact with liquids and chemicals, polish regularly, and be mindful of semi-precious materials (e.g. Moissanite, Cubic Zirconia, Turquoise, Freshwater Pearls, etc.) when washing. Some soaps, jewelry polishes, even body products, contain chemicals that are harmful to the finishes on the stones, which is why we recommend using good old dish soap for cleaning! You can wear Gold Vermeil with confidence, especially if you’re putting these basic rules into practice! 😉
Here are the biggest takeaways from today to keep your Victoria Emerson sparkles as sparkly as you. 💖
- Treat your belongings with love and they’ll love you back!
- Wipe your sparkles down after each use and start a cleaning day for your jewels.
- Use the “last on, first off” rule.
- Store your sparkles in a cool and dry place away from the sun.
Following these proper care instructions can prolong the lifespan, prevent tarnishing, and preserve the shine of your sparkles. If you have additional questions on the upkeep and maintenance of your sparkles, let us know at email@example.com.